Goli soda is back!

Golisoda is one such nostalgia I cherish from my childhood. [Golisoda also know as ramune soda or codd-next bottle] Some time in the 1985's in the traditional town of Mangalore, was my first experience with goli soda. Me, my mom and some other relatives(don't remember exactly) just stopped next to a roadside golisoda vendor near carstreet road. My first reaction was "Wow! a marble inside a bottle". This was something unusual compared to the brands of that time such as Torino, campacola, thumbsup, goldspot etc., The fun part while drinking soda from this bottle was that the marble used to rollback and block the opening of the bottle. I had a tough time trying to stop the marble rolling and drink soda in-between. After a few years of growing up, I understood the actual technic of drinking soda without the marble blocking the mouth of the bottle. There is two water drop shaped extrusion inside the bottle when held in the right orientation, will lock the marble from rolling to the bottle opening. This way you can enjoy your favourite soda without interruption. The most popular flavours were Ginger, Lemon and Orange. I guess even plain soda was also available but not too sure.



Also, the other main attraction was the popping sound when the bottle was opened. The pop sound and the marble rolling and making the "Ting" "Ting" sound was very typical and iconic of this type of bottle.

Over the years the goli-soda lost its charm and big brands replaced these small-time soda bottling industry. Very few shops were selling this type of soda.

Just a few days back I happened to be in Mangalore. And a huge billboard caught my attention on Balmatta road, near Jyothi circle. There was this huge ad displayed by popout brand of coming back of Goli soda. Their tag line "From old memories to new trend" is very apt. I am just waiting to cherish back my old memories.











Comments